LumberJocks

Evolution of my router planer

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by TZH updated 652 days ago 8 parts 29270 reads 42 comments total

Part 1: First Version: 1.0

1379 days ago by TZH | 9 comments »

One of the things I found out very early on in my type of woodworking is that the slabs I use in my projects are often in dire need of planing. The problem with this is the thickness planer I had was not large enough to accommodate the width of most of these slabs. So, I began reviewing my old book and magazine libraries and surfing the Net to try and find something else that might meet the need for the type of work I planned to do. The results of my search were mixed. The very first opti...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Version 1.1

1378 days ago by TZH | 8 comments »

The next design I came up with for my router planer was based loosely on some of the designs some fellow woodworkers had posted right here on Lumberjocks. The biggest design change was that I eliminated the sled pictured in the first photo in my last blog entry and used angle iron glides instead. Now here was a design I really took a liking to right away. This one allowed me to plane much larger pieces without fear of slipping off the edges of the runners because the router moves withi...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Version 1.2

1378 days ago by TZH | 5 comments »

Movin’ right along, here’s Version 1.2 of my router planer. Because I’d made the router sled larger in order to accommodate larger pieces, I now needed to design something bigger for the sled to ride on. That’s when I came up with the idea of using longer piping for the end poles and cross rails (instead of the 12” pipes and the plywood cross rails shown in my first design). The photo below shows my first attempt (my “beta” version) at this new des...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Version 1.2a

1377 days ago by TZH | 4 comments »

Version 1.2a At this point I decided to get more “radical” in my design approach. I removed two of the cross rails (found out through experience that I didn’t need them anyway). Then I took the corner poles out of the flanges and put a “sleeve” on the side of my table for the corner poles to slide into (see photo below). Electrical conduit clamps work great for attaching the sleeves. This design also allowed me to adjust the height of the router sled in...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Version 1.2b

1097 days ago by TZH | 1 comment »

Awhile back, I began posting a series of blogs on the evolution of my router planer. Since that time I’ve actually made three more minor modifications that have had a huge impact on how well this thing works. The first modification: I was always frustrated with how long it took to measure the height at which to set the cross members of the planer using my square in a slotted 2×4. Well, I finally came up with a solution so simple even I was amazed (not the brightest bulb in the p...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Version 2.0

1097 days ago by TZH | 2 comments »

A long time ago, I said I would post a blog entry showing how I plane really big pieces using my router planer. Well, here goes. I started out with some really big cottonwood rounds (that’s my son in the first photo): I cut them into 5” to 6” thick slabs and had to figure out a way to plane them down to 3” to 4” thick to use as table tops for TV stands and coffee tables. That’s when I came up with the Big Boy Router Planer below: I just hap...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Version 1.2c (had to tweak it again)

1086 days ago by TZH | 5 comments »

Found out the trex clamps I talked about in my last version (http://lumberjocks.com/TZH/blog/24588) weren’t strong enough to withstand the pressure exerted by the bolt going through, plus didn’t hold the sled rigidly enough (too much diagonal movement). So, back to the drawing board. Figured a clamp should function like a clamp no matter what the design is, so I used 2×4’s for the stationary clamp (first photo) and 2×2’s (oak – second photo) for the mov...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Tweakin' it again. Version 2.1

652 days ago by TZH | 8 comments »

Didn’t know whether to post here in this blog or in the walnut tv stand blog. So here it is. Found I had to tweak my router planer a bit more in order for it to work as well as I wanted it to work. The slabs I’m doing right now were too long for the regular planer, so had to get out the really long rails once again. Problem with the setup I had already used was the sled didn’t ride the rails as nice or as easy as I’d hoped they would, even with using some wheels/cas...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase