So I decided to blog on the woodworkers and writers who inspire me to “work the wood” besides the fact that it is a thing that is just “in my blood” or a legal addiction…how nice!
Slant Top Desk by C.H. Becksvoort
The Short List
Woodworkers (in influential order)
1. C.H. Becksvoort-maker of amazing Shaker Style Furniture plus great Shaker Inspired Author
2. Thomas Moser-the great American Dream in real life, Thomas Moser Furniture-and a great classic book to boot
3. Glen Huey-the ultimate in beautifully made and “how to” make furniture books
3. Darrell Peart-the most amazing blanket chest I have every seen….Greene and Greene
4. Jim Tolpin-a real world honest cabinet maker who shares his experience of the business and a great book on tool boxes.
Dr. White’s Chest by Thomas Moser
Books (in order of most read)
1. How To Build Shaker Furniture by Thomas Moser
2. Furniture In The Southern Style by Robert W. Lang and Glen Huey
3. The Shaker Legacy by Christian Becksvoort
4. The Toolbox Book by Jim Tolpin
5. The Anarchist’s Tool Chest by Christopher Schwarz
Desired Upcoming Builds
1. Another Tool Chest using the scale (paper) plans by Chris Gouchnour (plans)
2. Dr. White’s Chest from Thomas Moser’s How to Build Shaker Furniture (book)
3. Desk with Book Case from Furniture In The Southern Style (book)
4. The Chest of Drawers from The Joiner and The Cabinet Maker (book)
The Toolbox Book by Jim Tolpin
1. Christian Becksvoort- I continue to be challenged by his amazing overall craftsmanship and understanding of wood grain, movement, durable joinery, and beautiful finishes
2. Jim Tolpin – who ever knew you could study the same tool chests, cabinets, and storage systems so long and continuously be inspired to build a beautiful system to store your tools or someone elses if they desire a special gift for their birthday or Christmas.
3. Thomas Moser – hey, he built his business from the ground up with great long term employees and his designed continue to be beautiful and inspiring … and he wrote an easy to understand how to book that can keep many a woodworker constantly busy in the workshop crafting practical and beautiful furniture with everything from yellow pine to the most exotic woods if desired.
Chest of Drawers from The Joiner and The Cabinet Maker
Hope you have a chance to SHARE your influences and pictures here soon!
-- "So many projects...so little time..." Psalm 23