A few weeks I was looking around my local junk store where I got my #4 and found two small block planes sitting on the shelf. One was a #60 1/2 with no blade and another with a broken cap and adjusting screw nut and no readily apparent model #.
I got them home, disassembled them and dropped all the pieces straight into the good old Evap-O-Rust. I left them to soak overnight and all the next day while I was at work. They both cleaned up nicely, so I WD40ed them and set them on the shelf above my desk.
On my next day off I finally got them down for closer inspection. The #60 1/2 was a standard plane with nothing to remark about. But the other was a little of a mystery.
The adjusting rod knob was very clearly marked Stanley even though it was broken. Upon close examination of the planes bed I saw this…
I went to Patrick Leachs Blood and Gore and pulled up the entry for the #60. I read the entry (OK I glanced at it several time without reading it all the way through) and in the last paragraph he describes the model I had found. But there was no picture of it. I searched for many hours over several days to locate a picture online with no success. Therefore I believe that I can safely say that here for your perusal is the first picture of this baby on the web.
Note the lack of an adjustable mouth. According to B&G this original #60 was only manufactured for four years from 1898-1901. Although the knuckle on the blade cap and the adjusting rod knob are broken there are a couple of features I want to point out.
The blade cap iron.
Shown here with a cap iron from a #60 1/2 (on right) for comparison you can see the differences. The keyhole for the screw is much smaller, the impressed pattern is not crosshatch but instead just raised dots (sorry my photo skills did not allow me to get a better picture of the raised pattern). Also the is no raised rim around the keyhole. By the way the screw is significantly smaller than on any other Stanley block plane I have ever seen. The cap iron reads Patd. 10-12-97.
I know this is not a perfect “paperweight” example but as a type study I found it very interesting. It is definitely not a user simply because I do not want to damage it further.
The blade is correctly marked but for some reason it got such a light imprinting that I was unable to get a closeup picture no matter what I tried. Oh, the blade is very sharp, and as far as I can tell full length.
The original size picture is here, if you look closely you can barely make out the blade marking. The Jappaning is untouched by me and overall in fantastic shape for a plane this old.
The rosewood knob is in excellent condition with only a few dings and most all of the original finish.
I can just imagine back when this was new and the proud owner somehow knocked it off his bench, only to pick it up and see the damage and realize it was to painful to the palm of his hand to keep using and just stuck it in the back of his tool chest.
I would love it if this baby could talk. Hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as I did finding, cleaning and researching it.