Well like all things, the final design has changed from my initial plans. I got access to a very nice 30” belt sander so smoothing the initial cuts was no issue. The oak in this board is from old wood flooring so the back had ridges that needed to be flattened out.
The glue is a bit messy but that’ll be cleaned up. As you can see I had some burning issues, from the look of it probably due to the way I setup to do these cuts. I did what I could with the grain, I did not have an option on how to glue the walnut, we’ll see what will be revealed after this is cleaned up though.
This is how it looked before the glue up, it was just over 0.5” thick, I liked how the walnut and oak looked. Hopefully it’ll look as good once I clean the board up.
The board dimensions as of now are 10” x 15.5” x 1.5”. I wanted to make it wider but ran out of floor boards. Without my own jointer, i decided against the walnut border going completely around.
Now that i know I have access to a production shop with some outstanding tools I can expand my future project ideas. This will be a good crutch until I get myself set-up completely.
Thursday I plan to get the end grain sanded flat, route the finger holds and begin the process of finishing it. Wherein lie some questions. What should i be wiping the mineral oil on with and also what is a good way to get the sides. The top and bottom are simple as i just pour it on and spread it out until it soaks in, however i cannot really do this with the sides.
I am also considering putting rubber feet to protect it from standing in water and because there is a couple of knots on one side.. Just wish i had more time to be working in the “shop.”