LumberJocks

Grizzly G0883 vs G0771Z

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Sweeper posted 11-27-2017 05:42 PM 796 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I’m getting reading to buy another saw and I have a question regarding the Grizzly G0883P and the G0771Z.
Both have 2 HP but he 0883 is wired for 220V and has to be rewired for 115V. Not a big deal but they say that change requires a T23999 circuit breaker.
The 1Z has a clone of the Shop Fox Original T-fence. Grizzly states it has the same solid front locking ability. What type of fence does the 0883 have?
The 0883 weighs 45lbs more than the IZ. Both have cast iron tables…so why the weight difference?
Both have cabinet mounted trunnions.
And….they’re both on sale a Grizzly for the same price.
So which one should I buy?



4 comments so far

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

177 posts in 451 days


#1 posted 12-04-2017 03:07 AM

Why are you buying a new saw

View Sweeper's profile

Sweeper

23 posts in 214 days


#2 posted 12-04-2017 04:40 AM

I’ve been using my trusty Craftsman 113… for 30 years. The fence has always been a joke and now the motor is dying…I could repair, rebuild and put a quality fence on it or I could replace her. My shop is wired for 110V/ 20 amp and the 0883 has a nice fence and runs on 110V…so I got interested.
Since I posted my entry I’ve purchased it during Grizzly’s Black Friday sale for $825.
It arrived a few days ago. I picked up a dial indicator at Harbor Freight and checked the miter slots off the cheap blade that came with the it. The left was dead on and the right miter slot was machined running off at .008 or 1 /125”..not to shabby.
The blade lifts perpendicular to the table…... BUT….when I raise it to full height and crank it down…at 2 1/4 inches above the table it pauses just a hair and then settles down 1/4 inch [with a little noise].
I checked the worm gear and trunnions for debris or chips etc…they’re clean and greased. Thinking it might be binding due to poor assembly, I tried pressing down on the motor as I lowered the height adjustment but there was not change.
I’ve spent the day researching and reading blogs. Tomorrow I’m gona call Grizzly. I hope they’ll send a local repair tech. to check it out. The blogs said it might be a faulty arc on the trunnion or a gap between the teeth or a high spot on the teeth or the worm gear isn’t properly aligned with the trunnion or the worm gear’s loading on the side of the trunnion’s teeth or on the tips of its teeth or the mesh point is lose or is there too much backlash in the screw threads or the worm gear is slightly bent.
The possibilities boggle my mind…but I’ve got a good sense of humor. I thought getting the 500 lb. monster to my shop was a nightmare [because UPS would deliver on my cul de sac]...now it looks like that may have been the easy part.
Does anyone have any idea about why the gears clunk and the blade drops when I’m lowering it?
Yep…I’m as I write this I’m still chuckling….

View Sweeper's profile

Sweeper

23 posts in 214 days


#3 posted 12-04-2017 06:41 AM

Opps…I guess when my mind gets boggled I don’t make sense…
I meant to say…as I write this I’m still chuckling….

View Sweeper's profile

Sweeper

23 posts in 214 days


#4 posted 01-13-2018 03:36 PM

I figured out the problem. Part of the motor mount is the bull gear. At one end of the bull gear it’s teeth were milled too wide creating a sloppy mesh. I sent video’s to Grizzly and after the engineers reviewed them, they agreed. So, they sent me new parts.
I got excited and assembled the saw before the parts came. Then I encountered a new set of problems.
1) The bevels of the main table and the left wing are 1/4 inch. The right wing’s bevel is 5/16. It looks odd but no biggie.
2) The hinges on the door are set too far apart so the door rests on the upper hinge. I had to grind some washers to fill the space on the lower hinge because I don’t have a milling machine. The washers had to fill the space perfectly or else the door would have set on the bottom hinge and not the top or visa versa.
3) The 2057A shop Fox mobile base was a mess. One of the locking feet wouldn’t screw down because the threads were jacked AND the box tubes wouldn’t push in all the way because the welds permeated into the cavity. Then I read that the casters fall apart in a few years….oh yippie…I can’t wait.
One weird thing occurred that I can’t explain. The locking feet are a two part set up…an upper shaft with a knob and threads stands on top of a lower shaft that has a rubber foot. Magnetism connects them together. The weird thing is: Both screw mechanisms loose their magnetism when I screw either of them into one of the screw holes. They don’t lose it when I screw them into the other screw hole.
This entire ordeal has been a little over my head and now the Chinese magnetism mystery…its way too much for this ol’boy’s noggin.
On the bright side…the Grizzly techs have been wonderful. And…I love this saw. For $825 it was a real bargain. I had to sell a bunch of stuff on Offer Up to pay for it, but it was worth it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com