LumberJocks

Tool Restoration - Hand Planes #1: Sargent Hercules No3

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Straust posted 03-21-2018 10:27 PM 392 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Tool Restoration - Hand Planes series no next part

So since there were some questions on how I got from point A to point B on my restoration of the Type 19 No5 Stanley Bailey I took a few more pictures though I will have to better next time as I got a bit lazy.

So here are the before pictures as you can see the tote is broken and the knob is damaged a bit as well. There is quite a bit of rust but the body’s paint was in good shape so I decided to keep it.

Here is a picture of my setup for this restoration. This time I put shop towels to keep my workbench cleaner. Might do it again. The tile is my flat surface. The spring clamps are for holding my sandpaper and glass cleaner for the higher grits. 409 just happened to be the cheapest that menards had. I use 60 grit for the initial flattening of the body. The other grits I used were 120, 400 , and 1500. Then I finish with a leather strop for a few of the items.

Here is the 60 grit ready to go.

And I choose to wear 9mil gloves from Harbor Frieght as it does make a bit of a mess and keeps me from sanding my skin off (Yeah I did that … OOPS!)

Here a few of the progress pictures of flattening the body and cleaning up the sides. Before I started this I glued up the tote. I also added a small wood dowel to help support.

So this is where I kind of when into tunnel mode and forgot to take more photos. So after I had flatenned the body and sides. I sharpened the iron, Cleaned up the chip breaker and the holder. I used mostly 400/1500 grit sandpaper and a bit of elbow grease. It is a good time to turn on your favorite tunes.

Next is my favorite part cleaning up the small parts. I will go into more detail next time on how I did it.

After those are good I moved on to the tote and knob which since most of the finish was missing or cracked I scrapped the rest off with the side of the chisel blade. Once the finish was removed I refined the tote and knob with sand paper and a card scraper.

Here is the finished product though the Boiled Linseed Oil is still drying in these photos.

Thanks for reading. After doing a few of these and enjoying it I think I might start doing it for others if there is a need.



4 comments so far

View BurlyBob's profile

BurlyBob

5410 posts in 2232 days


#1 posted 03-21-2018 11:00 PM

Congrats. That’s a really nice restore job. I’ve done a dozen or so and it is very rewarding to take an old rusty POS make it work and look good doing it.

View ksSlim's profile

ksSlim

1274 posts in 2856 days


#2 posted 03-22-2018 01:56 AM

Excellent restore!

-- Sawdust and shavings are therapeutic

View JerseyJoe's profile

JerseyJoe

63 posts in 3523 days


#3 posted 03-22-2018 12:18 PM

Nice job. I have a few old planes that are on my list of things to restore. I’m going to reference your work when I start my projects. Thanks for sharing.

-- Joe Massanova, Somerdale, NJ - www.novawoodworking.com

View Straust's profile

Straust

14 posts in 42 days


#4 posted 03-23-2018 03:12 PM

JerseyJoe as a note I would have used diamond plates or whetstones after the intial flattening on the body if I had them.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com