So, starting this blog yesterday and putting ideas down in my idea book has helped ease my frustrations with my shop so much that this entry just might be a little more, um, ..... normal. If there is such a thing. (Well, the beers I drank last night may have had a little to do with that too) I think it’s because I can share my thoughts and ideas with people here that have similar problems since my wife doesn’t get it and really doesn’t care. Anyway, I wanted to start this entry off with a few pics of my shop in it’s current, raw, messy state. The source of my frustration. This is the worst shape my shop has been in in quite some time. Usually I’ll go through at least once a month and clean it up and re organize it as best as I can, but as I acquire more tools and gain new skills I’m quickly running out of space.
This is my main bench.
My other bench.
And finally the shelves that I’m taking down because they have outlived their usefulness for the type of storage I need. This wall is what I’m going to turn into my new bench, then work my way around to the other two walls.
Taking the shelves down is going to be followed closely by a great purge. Well, maybe. I admit, I’m a horrible pack rat and that’s my main problem. I hate throwing stuff out! If I find something that I think I can use for something, even if it’s years from that moment, I keep it. And there has been many times that I have gone hunting for something that I had picked up years before, to use for whatever project I had going on at the time, only to find that I threw it out just months earlier. Then I kick myself and call myself an idiot for throwing it out. So that being said I might not throw anything out.
So, my plans! I’m getting pretty stoked! Yea, they’re coming together. In my head at least. So far I’ve figured out how I’m framing my new bench. I’m doubling up on the 2×4’s using false half laps in the corners, with kind of a half mortice and tenon joint for the spreaders. Double layer bench top, with an integrated clamping system. Most likely a leg vice with bench dogs since that seems like the simplest one to diy. Since the bench is going to be used for many, many reasons I’m not going to want open holes in the top of the bench. What I’m thinking is to make a removable panel over the dog holes, and reinforce the holes underneath with a couple layers of 3/4 oak. I haven’t worked out how large of an area yet for the clamping. Under the bench there will be at least 2 rows of drawers. I haven’t worked out the sizes yet. Under the drawers will be cabinets with pull out shelves. Over the bench top, built into the stud voids I’m building pegboard cabinets. I’m still deciding between sliding panels, or hinged doors.
So that’s where I am so far. I’m hoping I’m ready to go to phase two at the end of my week of planning. I’m pretty sure I will be.
-- I'm just me.