LumberJocks

CC's Book Case #2: Swapped boards for plywood and saved a bunch of $$$

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SquintyPolock posted 06-10-2013 12:39 AM 1261 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Planning Part 2 of CC's Book Case series Part 3: Glue Day! »

I posted this question and received a ton of great LJ responses! This web site is really awesome for getting good advice. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/50382

So, Craigslist looks like a great source for lumber, but I lack a jointer and planer. Next best thing was to return all the 1×12s to HD and bought a sheet of 3/4” plywood. The total lumber cost dropped from $265 to $115, which is much more palatable.

I set up a straight edge and my Skil-saw to rip the plywood into 11-1/4” boards in place of the returned 1×12’s. I cut everything a little wide with the Skil-saw and then cut to final dimensions on my table saw.

Check the sled is square to the blade. I know this is a poor excuse for a sled – if I’m not ultra-steady, the boards rock and I get a wobbly cut. As long as I’m careful, it works out.

I clamped three shelves together and cut them to final length in one swoop. That way everything matches exact.

Check the depth on the router (1/3 the board depth), get out the fence & clamps, the back to the auxiliary shop (aka garage).

This piece is 23” wide. After routing the dadoes, I split it down the middle on the table saw, then cut the other edge off each side to make two 11-1/4” book case sides. Dadoes before ripping ensure the dadoes are in the exact same location on either side of the book case. Final trimming removed any tear outs from the router.

How do ya like my out feed table? I need to make two more, so I have cover all sides of the table saw.

I used the table saw to cut 1/4” x 1/4” rabbits to accept the back of the case. I kicked over the fence 1/16” for each pass. You see the grooves it causes in the rabbit. I don’t like this and cleaned them up a bit with a chisel.

Lastly, I moved all my final cut boards to the shop for glue up and I realized I ran out of glue. I’ll buy some glue by next weekend. I took the kid to the park for the rest of the day.

Thanks for having a look. J-

-- It's all in a day's work...



2 comments so far

View Robb's profile

Robb

660 posts in 2657 days


#1 posted 06-10-2013 04:21 AM

Great progress, and a significant savings over the hardwood cost from HD. Go you!

-- Robb

View SquintyPolock's profile

SquintyPolock

95 posts in 620 days


#2 posted 06-13-2013 01:18 AM

Hey man. Thanks. I got all that done in about 6 hours on a Sat morning. Baby boy was digging holes in the garden, so I was able to get a real groove-on, without him under my feet.

We’re going camping this weekend and I haven’t had time to buy glue yet. I expect progress will be delayed at least a week or more.

Girl is never gona get this book case in time for graduation.

-- It's all in a day's work...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase