LumberJocks

Sewing Center

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by SouthpawCA updated 12-08-2009 09:29 PM 4 parts 24770 reads 19 comments total

Part 1: The Sewing Center in Progress

07-27-2009 01:23 AM by SouthpawCA | 6 comments »

I decided to try and take on bigger and more intricate projects. My wife wanted a sewing cabinet for all her sewing supplies, including the sewing machine, which are now kept in a bin in the garage. Each time she wanted to sew something, I had to get the bin in from the garage and she would have to dig through all the stuff and eventually she’d start her project. I decided to make it out of poplar for a couple of reasons. First – she wanted to try painting it with some decor...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Stained Poplar using MinWax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner (yellow can)

08-23-2009 10:09 PM by SouthpawCA | 11 comments »

I didn’t really listen and I should be spanked!!! I am now going to stain the sewing center. I knew I had to actually condition the wood because it is poplar. But instead of doing the 50/50 mix of shellac and denatured alcohol or as I read on a can of Zinsser Bulls Eye SealCoat (which is shellac) a 3 parts denatured alcohol to 2 parts SealCoat mix, I thought I save myself some time and just condition the poplar with MinWax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner (the yellow can – they also ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: "Stained" Poplar

08-31-2009 12:22 AM by SouthpawCA | 2 comments »

I tried a number of different applications that would enable me to stain the poplar on the sewing cabinet. None really worked all that well. I sanded the doors down to bare wood and was ready to call it quits and paint it like I had intended in the first place. That’s when I stumbled upon the bottle of TransTint Reddish Brown #6003 that I had left over from a project a few months ago. I figured I might give that a try. I mixed the TransTint into a quart of Varathane WATERBASED poly...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Finished Just in Time

12-08-2009 09:29 PM by SouthpawCA | 0 comments »

OK … so all the trials I had with the finish have been overcome. However, next time I do anything with poplar I’m going to use milk paint. All in all it turned out pretty nice and it is being used already. Here is a pic of the finished project. More will be added to the Projects page.

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com