I tried a number of different applications that would enable me to stain the poplar on the sewing cabinet. None really worked all that well. I sanded the doors down to bare wood and was ready to call it quits and paint it like I had intended in the first place. That’s when I stumbled upon the bottle of TransTint Reddish Brown #6003 that I had left over from a project a few months ago. I figured I might give that a try. I mixed the TransTint into a quart of Varathane WATERBASED poly. The TransTint will not mix into oil based products. I also added an oz. of Floetrol to help diminish any brush marks. Once I got the mixture to the color that I liked I brushed it on a large piece of scrap poplar that included everything from the green to the almost white of poplar. There was absolutely no blotching! The color was a bit pale so I added more Transtint. Total Transtint ended up to be about 1/2 oz.
With the addition of multiple coats of the now tinted poly the color did get slightly darker with each coat. It doesn’t show very well here, but after 4 coats the color turned out to be a light cherry which is what I was aiming for initially.
The Floetrol indicated that the sheen may be reduced, however, I started out with a semi-gloss poly and it pretty much stayed semi-gloss. I was thinking if it did loose the gloss I would have added one final coat of plain poly.