Homemade tools and hardware #7: Prototype bakelite vise after jeweler's version

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Sodabowski posted 06-09-2015 05:58 PM 1589 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: bandsaw progress Part 7 of Homemade tools and hardware series no next part

Hi all,

Here is my first copy of this great design from the 30’s. I won the original (left of the picture) on ebay some time ago, and after cleaning it and trying it out I decided to make copies of it, mainly because my sister is studying to become a jeweler and bakelite is great for silversmithing and goldsmithing since it’s rather soft.
I used this vise for cutting rather delicate scrollwork into horn and bone flats, with very nice results. The only thing that the original lacks is a clamping system.

So I had this small electrical-grade bakelite board around, with several mounting holes. I scaled down the original design to fit my stock – actually two units could fit, but I lost several parts to the Screw-Up Fairy by trying to cut them with my jeweler’s saw instead of waiting to be at the parents’ and use my bandsaw with the metal-cutting blade. Oh, well, prototyping, you know?

In the end I had the parts required for a single one, that I glued with slow-curing epoxy. The hardware is salvaged steel rods and brass parts from Gawd knows what, probably floppy drives and related computer hardware – I have a BUNCH of that stuff, neatly sorted out actually.

This first prototype came out rather nice, if not for a problem that I hadn’t foreseen before actually building it: on the original you can see the brass linear bearings that ride around the shafts, well the length of these isn’t that random: actually, when using the adjusting screw you’re applying pressure to the top of the movable jaw of the vise, hence producing a rotating torque. My very short sleeve bearings aren’t long enough to compensate for that on my version, so I have to manually compensate for that torque by keeping the jaw parallel to the fixed side to avoid jamming of the rods in the bushings. Well, I won’t make that mistake again. Once the piece is clamped, it doesn’t move anyway, so I consider this a partial success. Next ones will be better!

Thanks for watching.

-- Thomas - Pondering the inclusion of woodworking into physics and chemistry classes...

4 comments so far

View racerglen's profile


3112 posts in 2199 days

#1 posted 06-09-2015 09:43 PM

Too neat, bet your sister will love it !

-- Glen, B.C. Canada

View madts's profile


1661 posts in 1758 days

#2 posted 06-10-2015 12:54 AM

Those are very nice Soda. I did not know that you could bakelite any more.


-- Thor and Odin are still the greatest of Gods.

View Schwieb's profile


1792 posts in 2880 days

#3 posted 06-10-2015 02:16 AM

Thomas, the fact that you tried and recognize your design deficiencies is worth the effort. Nice machine work. I appreciate the variety of your interest and efforts.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

View mafe's profile


11061 posts in 2507 days

#4 posted 06-23-2015 04:42 PM

You have a lucky sister!
Looks really cool, nice and accurate, well thought and designed.
So wonderful that you can even recycle all those parts into a new little wonder.
Way to go man.
Best thoughts,

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics