This is my soap dispenser. There are many others like it but this one is mine.
And once it’s empty there are a few goodies to look for inside the pumps of these things:
The hard plastic balls are very nice and shiny (not as in this picture, I stuffed it in a hole in my tabletop so it wouldn’t move during the picture). I collect them for fun and maybe someday I will have enough to make a bracelet or something ;)
The stainless steel spring in these things is of good interest to me. I have a decent collection of hardware parts scavenged from all the electronic items I dismantled over the years (and I began it early). Mainly printers and photocopiers. In this case I was searching through my compression springs collection for a pair that would be around 1 cm long and with enough strength to be used for the freewheel of the small bandsaw I’m building. It turns out that I used one of the springs from my dismantled soapo dispenserz. Kthx.
And so the story continues: meet my little friend Tom (Sawyer):
This is the freewheel, with its support and adjusting caddy. The bolt allows for tensioning of the blade, and the set screws for sideways orientation of the wheel. The whole assembly will be attached to the body via hinges, to allow for the vertical plane orientation, and I will also be using one of the soap dispenser springs for it.
Here you can see the face of the wheel. It’s MDF, hollowed to lighten it up a bit and allow for manual rotation. I know, Matthias Wandel tested it and concluded that MDF is not a great material for a bandsaw wheel, but as this will be a very small scale one with no need for speed, I prefer to have a really homogenous pair of wheels as I will use it mainly for veneer slicing and pen blanks roughing.
Here you can see the two spring halves used for the push action against the wheel mount. Pull action is via a pair of hex screws, fitted with threaded inserts. The wood for these parts is decent quality pine and some plywood, as MDF would not react properly to threaded inserts anyway.
This is the power wheel, hollowed as the freewheel to gain some weight, add it some sexiness and a few grip points to turn it by hand. It will be driven via a timing belt, just like my pen lathe.
And here the face view. I haven’t erased the pencil lines yet.
Hopefully I will be able to finish the bandsaw rather soon now, as the tools I needed to build these parts were at my parents’ place. Expect a few updates and a finished project post in the coming weeks.
Alas, time was too short to even start the prototype cord reel. Later.
-- Thomas - Pondering the inclusion of woodworking into physics and chemistry classes...