So the admin of a french mycology website sent me several fresh pieces of Salix with lots of fruiting bodies of Chlorociboria Aeruginosa two days ago (he was also kind enough to test them for variety with his microscope, so this is an accurate naming) and I received them today, along with a little card with the nicest words written on it. AND I received my petri dishes at the very same time. Talk about timing!
So I immediately set myself into “bio geek mode” and prepared an agar culture medium, flamed my tweezers to sterilize them, and took care not to touch any inside part of the dishes nor blow towards them.
For the nutrients, having no malt on hand yet, I settled with maple syrup for a first test, to which I added a few drops of lemon juice to just acidify the medium a bit. Not having all my chemicals here doesn’t help do these kind of things “cleanly” but it’s still a cleaner attempt than the first one, and by the time I get to my southern village there will be plenty of Chlorociboria Aeruginascens in my forest claims, and I still have 20 twin-compartment and 18 tri-compartment petri dishes for the following cultures.
Searching through ebay was successful for finding premade agar malt medium, but the asking prices were insane, particularly on the postage fees. Well, next time. I’ll be experimenting with several different nutrients anyway, all of vegetal origin: maple syrup this time, fructose next time, I’m thinking of agave syrup too (though it’s a cactus, not quite the usual dish of Chlorociboria, might not work but you never know). The most certain thing is that I’ll slay down a live beech tree this summer to pump out its sap and use it for the most accurate transparent culture medium I still can imagine for these tiny beasts (Dracula gone vegan, or something).
So for this second try, it’s Canada, baby!
The contents of the parcel
Petri dish galore
Two dishes cooling down to room temp prior to inoculation with Chlorociboria Aeruginosa
First plate ready (I added an internal ID after the fact with a sharpie)
A close-up of the tiny beasts (2-3 mm diameter each, 1/8th”)
I won’t include a picture of the ascospores of this (which tells with enough evidence it’s aeruginosa) as I don’t own the copyright, but you can find it here.
-- Thomas - Pondering the inclusion of woodworking into physics and chemistry classes...