Just for a quick update. The cultures I attempted last time did actually work to some degree. Something grew inside the agar mix :p
No stain from the Ca culture yet and I don’t really expect any to happen. I also grew the accompanying yellow fungus, which actually develops rather agressively into the culture medium. Certainly a big white rot fungus there, Fomes Fomentarius probably, knowing that it was on the tree I took the infested bark from.
For the next mushy hunting season I will have the appropriate equipment to grow them in decent laboratory conditions and see what happens.
Meanwhile, I’ll inoculate the culture in a live tree and let it all happen for a year or so before cutting it down and checking what happened. My culture boxes (chinese sauce containers actually) are, well, unworthy of being shown, so sorry but no pictures until I get myself some decent-looking petri boxes :p
As a “forgive me” for that lack of a decent culture shot, here is what has become of this piece I had showed you in the first post of this series:
And after some basic sanding, as I haven’t already decided which of the possible designs I figured out to carve it into, alongside its future base (which is the leftover portion from the lid of the sumac bandsaw box I made last summer for mom):
Oh, and the base is finished in BLO and blonde dewaxed shellac.
More to come soon!
-- Thomas - Pondering the inclusion of woodworking into physics and chemistry classes...