Ok so it hasn’t been day two but a bit longer.
Progress has been made thought!
I got the bases trimmed and routed a round hole in the top out the backside of the column for the speaker wire, it’s just barely big enough for the caple to run through!
I also cut a 5/8” hole in the bases to run the cable, and a 3/8 inch dado on the base to run the wire out the bottom of the stand.
Decided to go with dowels to connect the base and the top to the column.
Next I spent a day cleaning up some cracks in one of the bases. It’s highly figured so I had to fill a couple knots and hairline cracks. Just used 5 min epoxy that dries clear. Looks great with mineral spirits wiped on to theorize how the finish would look! Kind of makes it look resigny!
Glue up was a bit difficult, and should be done tonight. I realized after the fact that my miter saw is not to be trusted, as there is about a 1/32” gap at the bottom of one of the sides of the base/column junction. Funny thing is that my square says it’s square from two sides, but there’s still a gap when I square it to the base….guess I need to re analyze my miter saw’s accuracy before my next project! I’ll either fill it in with epoxy or CA glue and it shouldn’t be noticable.
Last night I did a dry fit and everything looked pretty good! Here’s a couple pictures!
Think I’m going to go with a Poly/Mineral Spirits/BLO blend for the finish with the last coat or two just behing thinned out poly.
Couple of coats on this one already as my test!