Well today I started the project.
I needed to make some speaker stands for my surround channels. I thought the options online were either stupidly expensive ($500 for some 4/4 Walnut really stands, Really?) or just ugly so I decided to make my own.
I took inspiration from our new couch and used the baseball stitching in the leather to create design with contrasting walnut and maple.
Today I spent the day milling the lumber (Just got a new old jointer :), Bridgewood 6”) and cutting the pieces for the project. That’s a lot when you factor in two small children! 5 Months and 2 1/2 years! My two year old thought it would be great to draw on my BMW with chalk too…..sigh…..the joys of parenthood!
I managed to get everything cut and ready. Had to make one change from the plan though. Originally I was just going to butt joint it the whole way through, but realized that the glue-up would be a bit difficult so I cut a quick 1/8” rabbet on the inside of the sides to give some sturdiness during clamping, and a bit more strength.
Here’s a dry fit to give you an idea of what the columns will look like afterwards!
Glue-up was cake with the rabbet, a couple of fresh cauls and a bunch of clamps and voila! 24 hour waiting period initialized!!!
Tomorrow I plan to do a bit of the detail work on the bases and the tops, mostly rounding over the edges, and maybe cutting a groove in the base for the speaker wire. Oh and of course gluing up the second column tomorrow night….right after I sweep and mop the floors…..sigh…..