Bought 12’ 2×6s at the local lumber yard, brought them into the shop and cut them into even 6’ lengths via RAS,
… ensuring every end was from the saw, nice and square. Jointed the seven boards needed for the table using the #8 and a square, a process discussed in detail in the previous installment.
20/20 hindsight, but I should have addressed the radius corners of the 2×4s by ripping them before jointing, but I didn’t do that until the second (buffet) build. Here’s the table top in one of the dry-fit setups:
When it was all set, there were several glue lines that I knew wouldn’t take stain. So let the jack planing begin!
That went very well, and was actually quite fun. I made great progress the first night, spending about a half-our dressing the glued-up top. When I returned to the shop later the next day, however, the top had begun to curl. Argh. Stupid wet lumber!
At this point I stopped work on the top with just a little bit to go. I placed it on the completed table frame and added Jorgensen f-clamps at the corners.
When two legs pulled up off the floor, I added sandbags to the top; those are my granddad’s cabinet shop sandbags, btw. I appreciate them with each use I find for them; he probably knew all of the uses, just didn’t think to tell me in my younger days. ☺
The sandbags were only needed for a couple of days, then all was level again. Clamped and unfinished is just how the table will remain until such time the final planing is done and it’s ready for stain and paint.
The buffet top benefited a bit from ‘lessons learned,’ with all pieces ripped to square corner dimensions prior to jointing and gluing. And even though this material had been sitting in the shop several days longer than the stock used on the farmhouse table top, it moved like crazy after glue-up… I mean, severe wind. Work with the jack plane addressed it (had to traverse top and bottom, about 20 gals of shavings),
but even then had to apply clamps and once again reach for the sandbags to spring it back where it needed to be.
So I have frames and tops made for the table and buffet sideboard at this point, and it was pretty quick after those were made that I added primer to them. Good progress, I’d say, and everything has been running pretty close to estimate by my count of productive time. The tricks remaining include drawers and lower shelf, so that’s what I’ll do. Next time! So until then, thanks for looking!
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --