The on-line build instructions call for all-pocket-screw construction of the table frame as well as the tabletop. I didn’t think that type of joinery was the best option, especially for matching legs to aprons. Not enough resistance to racking. And I can joint and glue up a top without pocket screws as well. Finally, there’s the practical matter of not owning a pocket hole system and not wanting to buy one. So right away I decided to go with M&T joints at the corners and glue for the tops.
Another feature of the on-line build was pre-turned legs from Lowe’s Home Improvement Warehouse. The first time I went to check out those legs for the table portion of the quote, my local store had exactlyone of them in stock. More importantly, it was rather spindly looking compared to the one in the on-line pictures. Pretty wide grain lines, too. Those would do fine for the buffet side board, but they didn’t strikeme as being optimal for a 3’ x 6’ table, so I started looking for options.
I have a set of vintage table legs from a take-down several years ago; they’re 3” and beefy, more like the inspiration piece, and tight-grained walnut.
For them to work in this build, a straightforward mod was needed. I took some pics of the process:
Once off the lathe, each leg get the range of sanding grits and rasps as required to make all transitions disappear in look and feel. Very pleased with the outcome. So with the table legs now ready to go, I picked up a set of four for the buffet at a second nearby store and was set to go. The new and old blend incredibly well, I must say (maybe a side by side later, sorry). That’s all for legs, then, so until next time thanks for looking!
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --