So I have an old marble slab that’s been cut for a 1” overhang on either side of the beat-up table base:
The base had to be completely disassembled to make this mod possible…
I measured the new sides and marked a square line for the sidewall cuts, then used the Stanley mitrebox to do 80% of the work before flipping the piece and finishing up.
The legs needed attention next. This base sat on earth, inside a shed, for years so there was some wicking of moisture to the ends of the legs.
I screwed a simple stop block down for the RAS cuts, they’re all the same length now ((sorry, no pics).
The base has exactly one decorative detail, a bead that surrounds the entire piece.
I think the bead got away from the maker here, though.
With the sides cut to length, the palm ROS was pressed into service, glue was applied in all the proper places, nails were put back in and clampage happened.
It’s not rocket science, but notice in the last pic above the spacers put between the legs. I noticed the legs were somewhat splayed, so while all glue was still pliable I placed the blocks. Seemed to be a good idea, we’ll see if the legs hold alignment once the clamps are removed…
That’s all for now. We should be doing more cleanup and working with the top and drawer runners next time…
As always, thanks for looking.
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --