Okay, we started here when the evening’s activites went down:
Tills were assembled and trimmed up earlier this morning and I was excited to add hardware and apply a finish. So tonight I started by adding a little beading detail using my Stanley #66 beading plane.
Once the top edge of each ‘drawer front’ was beaded, it was time to add the ring pulls I had purchased many months ago… I only took a picture of the hole drilling though, sorry…
With the beading and pulls done, I applied a coat of Watco’s Natural to the fronts and the underside of the lid. The bottoms weren’t glued (that expansion / contraction thing, you know) so I drove a few square nails (vintage / recycled) to the bottom (back edge) boards. Pre-drilled with an old Craftsman eggbeater that caught my eye at a flea market last month. That tool has a story or two to tell, I think…
I mentioned in the last installment a screw-up of sorts. I didn’t know it at the time, but putting a bit brace in the bottom till is definitely something I wanted to do as part of outfitting this chest. But unfortunately the drawer was about 5/16” too shallow for the pad of the brace. I used one of the neat little carving tools that came in a starter set from Walt Q probably more than a year ago; my first foray into chip carving (probably an insult to chip carvers everywhere…) let to a slight ‘wallow’ that solved the problem without blowing out the bottom of the till.
So, here’s a pic showing all tills within reach, then another with them all closed and the bottom board pulled forward to protect the plane bay all along the bottom of the chest.
I’ll work up the project post and try to give a decent recap of the whole thing, but in the meantime here’s the chest! The saw till does need recessed ring pulls; I don’t have those ordered yet and will update this entry when I get them. As always, thanks for looking.
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --