Attention turned to the top, and lest you think it’s not truly vintage OR that smoothers with camber get you forklempt, see if you can spot the gentles undulations on the side of the cabinet in this shot:
Time to cut the top at the RAS. I measured for overhang that basically mimics the top of the topper in total width (if you can follow that…)
I couldn’t resist getting a sneak-peek.
The topper has a cove and round-over detail that had to be matched at the desktop; I went to the shaper to make these cuts. First a truly blurry shot of the cutter that worked for the cove, then a pic at the shaper that also shows the caul I had to employ while shaping; when the table top was removed from the frame, it had a healthy bow to it. Fortunately the caul pulled it out so it could be shaped on edge (and when it was screwed back in place, the bow mostly disappeared).
Smoothed the top with the #164, then the #4 1/2, then the #2 to get to a low spot (the last vestige of the bow). But it all came out looking great. You can see the low spot in the last pic, it was addressed before moving on.
Now for something that’s very likely to not sit well with everyone: the top is way too dark to have a bottom that’s natural walnut, so I applied stain. Dark stain. I have several on hand, matched ‘Mahogany’ and it was game on.
Thing looks like reddish chocolate, but it sure matches the topper. I also have to remember there’s nothing invested in this table. As long as it compliments the desk topper, all is well.
Next segment is the final, with clear-coat applied and an all-finished couple of pics! Thanks for looking.
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --