The width of this table needs to be brought into line with the Lincoln topper if it is to become more of a desk-like object, so it’s time to cut the aprons. One thing I did notice througout the following steps was an overall difficulty clamping this four-legged beast to/on the bench for work. But I got it.
Second went the same, and I had an end removed!
So it was onto the plan for removing the bum leg from the remaining assembly so it could be worked via lathe tricks. Well, it didn’t go to plan. Try as I might, with pressure and percussion and endless wiggling, neither glued M&T joint would come loose at the top of the bum leg. And boy did I try. Even tried heat, thinking hide glue would soften. But as I’d find out later, the mortices were 5/4” deep and not glue-starved… no way these legs are coming apart. The leg challenge was dropped, then, in favor of cleaning out the mortices of the end piece; I have to get those ready for new joinery.
Then off to the RAS to cut the apron to length. Oh, I measured and marked for length beforehand.
Now mark and cut tenons at the ends of each apron (again, work holding was interesting). I used the Geo. Bishop adjustable saw for the face cuts.
With all test fitting done and glue-up emminent, my thoughts went back to the bum leg and I devised a plan: a poplar sandwich. Good, clean poplar is hard to find in my shop but I sourced some from the Hoosier Top and was in business. First, I cut a single extension of good material from the bottom of the leg,
measured and marked it to a piece of poplar that was then planed to the thickness of said extension.
I brushed glue on all surfaces and clamped it up!
Everything was aligned, with butt joints tapped tight, and ready for an extended cure, and that was on-tap at the same time* I finished glue-up of newly sized desk!
One diagonally-set clamp pulled it into square.
Next time I’ll cut the top and work on shaping the poplar boot to something that closely resembles (I hope) the remaining three legs. Thanks for looking!
- Edit: The ‘boot’ was glued up and clamped several hours before the frame was clamped up, which made the assy strong enough to handle a quick cut to rough length at the RAS. With out that trim job the table wouldn’t stand up because the boot was so long. The last pic shows the trimmed boot out. FYI.
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --