When we left subject cabinet, the last part of the build was done, as the upper door pieces were cut and fit and glued up. Stiles ran long on the doors, as Lysdexic correctly pointed out, to prevent spitting of the entire stile while the mortises were cut. So we know the doors needed a trim length wise.
What I didn’t realize is how close I had made it re: the rails. You can see in the pics below I had to preserve all of the rail material… Whew…
There was very, very much tailoring to fit with various block planes as well as with the #93 shoulder plane in the rabbets of the center stiles, but I won’t bore you with tons of those pics when one will do.
One door needed adjustment width-wise, and that also was done at the bench. Marked with a T-square, material removed with the #62 and door jointed with the #8.
With all ‘major’ trimming complete, the fit at top and bottom looked good to my eye. Center looked okay, too.
Time to add hardware, beginning with hinges. The inspiration piece has very plain, steel-type hardware.
I shopped one of the on-line catalogs last June and picked out something different.. I knew the ‘steel’ in anything new would be less substantial, and went with three per side. I also wanted a ‘wrap-around’ style of hinge that’d get more surface area contact when mortised in. Took about ten minutes, searching the shop, but I found the box of that held the hinges and got to work. And yes, I used a… a… a… routah. There, I said it. But admitting the problem puts me on the road to a cure, right?
Not enough photographic evidence here, but the first step I took was to mortise the hinges to the carcase. Once that was done, I transferred lines to the face of the carcase sides that were noted with the marking knife to the doors. That told me where to mount the hinges. Oh, and the hinge located were guessed… I went 3” from the top and bottom, then centered the middle one.
Punch for screw locations, pre-drill with grandad’s MF #2 eggbeater, drive screws using the Handyman then repeat the process two more times to get Door #1 done.
Repeat for Door #2 and we’re getting somewhere!
At the point the trim-to-fit activity is pretty much constant, to get the doors working smoothly within the space and with each other where the center stiles meet at the rabbet overlap. And once they were in place, I had to take off the left door to add a necessary but special piece of hardware: a NOS Stanley sliding bolt. I actually didn’t know it was called a Sunk Flush Bolt until I googled the name on the box. Very, very cool. Wish there were more than one, but I’m still tickled to add this kind of vintage detail to my cabinet. I love the hardware, and couldn’t believe it when showed up. Still had waxed paper around it, and all screws. Destiny, I say.
A bit of work with that tailed apprentice mentioned earlier was needed to make the deep channel cuts for the rod, but that went off without a hitch and the bolt was install was complete.
A bit of pencil lead rubbed on the tip of the sliding bolt marked the cabinet header with the location of the strike plate. I then drilled a hole and used that drill bit, in the hole, to align said plate for install.
Added screws, then moved on to the lock. It’s identical to the one I put on the inspiration piece (original being long lost on that cabinet). Mortised the main plate to the backside of the door, very carefully, and that also went off without a problem.
No escutcheon yet, but I’m not going to sweat that one.
Then to the drawers for final fitting, which didn’t long at all, and mounting of pulls. Rather than wood, I opted for vintage ceramic ones on hand. This cabinet still appears to belong in a kitchen vs. the shop, but then parts of it did come from a hoosier, so I’m okay with that ‘mystery.’
Added a pull to the tambour then milled up the last pieces of cherry for the ‘crown moulding’ consisting of a piece of 1/2” x 1” cherry on top of a run of pine cove. This matches the Inspiration Piece in style exactly, although not in material-choice. I attempted to make the cove piece in cherry with a H&R plane, but failed. Maybe next time. I’ll plug the screw holes in base face later, but that’s no big deal. Even without those plugs and without a finish applied, here it is, the completed Tool Cabinet!
Tool layouts inside the cabinet will take forever, and hasn’t been started at this point. So I won’t be posting this as a completed project within LJs until that time. I’ll let the cherry darken for awhile, too, before adding finish. Thanks for following along with the long (very long) blog series and especially for commenting along the way. It’s been fun!
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --