Wasn’t long ago that progress got me a tambour and static display of what would someday be…
See the lower right corner of the picture above? Well, that’s what needs to be done next, I think. It’s been started… Take close look and you’ll see two pieces joined together. Improperly. The stile needs to be full length, not dead-ended into the rail. And then there are the horizontal (H) pieces, circled and marked as 1 and 2 in the close-up below.
What’s the big deal about those H pieces? Well, it has to do with the inspiration piece. I have to do the H pieces because it’s the way the inspiration is; problem is, they’re going to be a challenge to ‘affix’ to the carcase. But that’s later. For this episode they’re important because I can’t mount them permanent-like until I get something done to them that’s… kinda… cool. If I can get it to work.
And that’s what this installment is all about.
The lower right corner space of this cabinet is earmarked for my cambered jack and the #62 low angle jack. I want that space to be coverable with a door; once that door is built, the H pieces can be put in place, then the upper door space will be defined, and this project will be oh-so-close to completion.
I started with some measurements, then laid out the pieces that would be the door.
I used the double-wheeled marking gauge to set the location for cuts, and got busy.
And through the magic of the interweb (and with the help of a shoulder plane and a Steel City morticer), a frame was completed in short order.
Extra ‘length’ of the frame is for a reason, but first I needed a panel. Because the tambour is white oak, I decided to make the panel the same. Most suitable piece I had was actually from a pallet collected this spring that carried 30lb felt rolls for my roof. It needed prep work, and beveling to fit the grooves cut in the frame by the #48, but material prep isn’t a problem.
Time to glue it up.
With the panel clamped and set, work on the the ‘feature’ I have in mind could proceed. It’ll move along with fewer pictures and step-by-step, but “Oh, well.” The key piece of equipment for this stage of the build was the Craftsman shaper. Some fettling with the jointer cutter set me up with ‘tongue’ extensions at the top and bottom of the panel.
With the tabs cut, it was time to cut tracks in H1 and H2, so the panel door could slide back and forth, in front of the tambour. Yep, that’s the ‘feature’ I’ve envisioned for a very long time… Some marking first, because these tracks will be stopped dados, essentially.
Some chiseling at the ends was needed, but with the right chisel and mallet, no problem.
So there’s a panel, and a groove. By clamping the H1 and H2 boards, I could test the concept!
It slides open just right!
So that’s all for now. Thanks for looking at this long installment! Next is upper doors, I hope. Until then…
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --