Okay, I’ve decided the glue blocks along the ‘short side’ of the top must go in order to pull of the repair. The hinge screws simply will not budge, and I’d rather not bunge them up.
So a flat chisel should do it.
It was short work, and with two pocket screws removed the piece was removed.
Pretty filthy edge, but a very interesting dovetail key for those who love run-on sawing…
Some scraping of the edges and things were coming together.
Some ‘o-so-tiny’ planing with the Sargent block and the crack essentially disappeared.
Before gluing up the matched and jointed top, I had to address wood movement in the hopes it wouldn’t happen again. Lots of good input from fellow LJs that included ‘buttons’ and that’s what I decided to do. Started with a piece of wood from the scrap crock, did a rabbet with the #78 then dressed the pieces to better size with the jack plane before cutting with the G-P. I cut 3/4s of the way through then stopped to pre-drill for the screws (you’ll see that in the pics).
With blocks cut, time to set the groove in the apron of the table. On the short side. I set the marking gauge and traced the inside of the apron.
Time to cut the groove…
Pick the iron from the #50 cutter box.
Clean up at the stopped ends and it’s ready to go!
Time to glue! Blocks ride towards to top, with a couple other short Bessee clamps holding the top straight to the apron.
Clean up the squeeze out and history was made: the top is again complete.
More to come, and thanks for looking!
-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive -- More "Here":http://smittycabinetshop.wordpress.com