The legs pieces have been milled to final thickness, so I glued them up.
The boards are 1.25”x5”x36” inches and there are four boards per leg. The finished legs will be approximately 5”x5” and will be cut to length after the bench top is finished.
I used Titebond glue and a hodgepodge of clamps. I started by gluing and clamping the two middle boards for 4 hours (recommended for southern yellow pine; I also wiped down the gluing surfaces with acetone before gluing to remove some of the resin). After the middle two boards were glued, I clamped all four boards together but only used glue on one side board. The ends of the side boards were offset by 2”, which will form a tenon on the completed leg. After 4 more hours in the clamps, I glued the remaining side board in place, being careful to line up the ends of the side boards. This method took longer than gluing all four boards together at one time, but it was easier to align the two side boards with each other. Working on two legs at a time, I finished the glue-up over a weekend.
Here’s a picture of one of the legs as I’m flattening and squaring the edges. My plan is to work on two adjacent sides and them take the legs to my buddy’s cabinet shop and run them through his thickness sander to make sure all sides are square and the legs are the same size. Once the workbench top is finished, I’ll cut the legs to final length.
Yes, my workspace is a mess.
-- More tools, fewer machines.