After my previous post here, I got numerous feedback and great ideas from professionals on this site on how to optimize the cutlist diagram to make it useful for professional wood workers. This lead me to develop “Carpenter Cut” app for iPad/iPhone devices. It goes like this:
Start with a sheet of plywood (e.g. 48×96), tell it the dimensions and quantity of each part you want to cut from it. Specify the kerf (size for your saw blade (0.125 is the default)), and indicate grain direction by putting a rotation lock on each part. Tap the “Cut” button and watch this tool generate the best cut layout diagram giving the maximum number of parts possible from your stock sheet, saving you money and saving the environment by producing minimal waste.
The app has the following Features (Based on requests and feedback I got from readers of my earlier “Smart Cutter” post):
- Different Size and Quantity specification per part.
- Kerf specification (Width of the saw blade).
- Rotation lock for grain direction cutting per part.
- Priority Fit Order for each part size.
- Aesthetically-pleasing random color generation for each part on the diagram and during entry so you can identify each part easily (or you can specify your own colors).
- Size annotation inside each sheet rectangle on the diagram with font size proportional to the sheet’s size.
- Name each part in the list.
- Cut Report generation showing: number of sheets Fitted/Rejected PER Part + Total Fitted (Yield), Total Rejected and Scrap % for the whole project.
- Save/Edit/Delete each cut list as a separate project in “My Projects” with project name, large sheet dimensions, kerf, and parts info list.
- FAST State-of-the-art algorithm for diagram generation calculations.
- Change/Edit any parameter or sheet priority order, and see how the cutting diagram automatically changes on the fly before you make your cut.
- Caches past projects diagram images for quick viewing/browsing later without regeneration.
- Email, Air Print, and/or Save your generated diagram to your Camera Roll Album.
- Easy navigation user interface.
Looking at the level of feedback I got from everyone on this site, I’m confident I can make this app even better with more feedback, so I’m posting this article here to collect more opinions on how you guys think I should modify this app to make it more useful for your every day projects.
You can download the app from this link
I welcome everyone’s feedback.
-- Get Optimal Cuts from your iPad - Carpenter Pro: http://goo.gl/U6FVJ