After a couple conversations with Angie O on Harbor Freight. I decided to fix a couple of the bar clamps I got there that don’t work for some reason. I have them in all sizes up to 48”. One of the 48” clamps popped and would not grab any more when I was trying to pull some warped pieces together to add the screws. I found the failure mode of these clamps is the short plastic lugs that go into each side of the trigger. When they wear far enough and move, the trigger breaks out the opposite one. In this case it broke the handle too. I was going to scrap it but I found that it does not take too much to fix them for good (I hope).
On this one I drilled out the trigger and ones side to 3/8” and the other side to 5/16” then I turned a stepped nylon pin with a 10-24 thread in it and put it through the parts and now the trigger is on a solid axle..
On the other one with the orange trigger, the clamp would hot move forward when squeezed and you could easily slide the clamp back on the bar. What I found is that this small plastic piece had broken away from under the end of the slotted steel bar brake and it rendered it useless.
That little black piece on top should be in the top corner of that inside pocket and it was just floating around in there. I glued it in with 5 minute HF Epoxy ( good stuff)
Here it is with the lug in place and the brake works once again
This lug on the removable handle was well worn and would most likely break next so I drilled out this one and made a steel axle for it.
Here is the clamp back in service with it’s new steel axle.
It was almost as hot as Cooberpeedie, Australia out side so I did some indoor repairs.
I’ll bet some LJ’s have these same problems if they have HF clamps. Now you can fix them too!! I have Irwin bar clamps prefer them over HF
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!