LumberJocks

"Through Lay" #5: My Epoxy Experiment

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SisQMark posted 02-17-2012 10:07 PM 3843 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Epoxy Experiment Part 5 of "Through Lay" series Part 6: Final entry of "My Epoxy Experiment" »

Well guys, as promised, here is side 1 of the finished “Epoxy Experiment” project I’ve been working on. After fixing the antennas & some sanding, this is the finished first side of my project. I added some spots of green & blue glitter mixed with epoxy to give it a little extra color. Note: You have to keep a close eye on it at first after pouring the epoxy, it is on the runny side. Keep an eye out for drips & wipe them off the bottom, remember this is going to be coated too, but the smoother the finish the better your results will be. I have it elevated as well as on some toothpicks. Less surface contact to get stuck to, & less to fix later because of drips drying to it. You can always sand it flat again to remove any unwanted material, but less is more in this case. Here is some photos of my ongoing progress.


Here is the final coat, side one.

This sure does look better in person, IMO.

Look how the grain of the wood just pops out at you!

Gotta love that blood wood.

I am going to let this cure over night. I will put the last coat on the other side tomorrow.

For all of you who where interested in my secondary experiment of epoxy/ acrylic mix, here is my results so far. I started with two little plastic shot glasses I measured up from the bottom 3/8” on both. One was filled with part A & the other with B . I mixed them together and poured half of the mixture in a sacrificial container and mixed with 3 drops of white acrylic paint. To the rest of the mix I added 3 drops of purple acrylic paint. After they were both well mixed, I added some drops of the purple color to the white epoxy & gave it a swirl with a toothpick. I then added the purple mixture on the other side of the white mix so they stayed separated. I then carefully picked out some of the white and dripped it into the purple side. I gave it a swirl with the toothpick, and WA la, it looks like marble. I also dripped some left over pink glitter that I used for the butterfly.
The results- After drying for about 24 hrs now. I pried it out of the container, it’s still very pliable at this point. It kind of resembles rubber and feels like rubber. As time goes on I can only assume it will cure to a further hardness. Next time I might add some crushed up Viagra, it’s a hardening agent isn’t it? Just kidding!! LOL It looks cool and the applications are numerous. I thought I would cut a heart out of it & use it as inlay, but as with most things I make, my wife saw it and hi-jacked it!!! She found a good use for it though. Inside of one of her glass jar lids. I have to admit it looks cool in there & It’s currently on display in the kitchen. Here is some shots of the results. Thanks for getting this far in the post, I know I’m rambling so I’ll leave you with the pictures. See you tomorrow with the next post. Have a great night. Mark

This is what it looks like held up to the light.


As you can see it is still pliable. Also as a note, this mixture is curing better by the hour. I would guess by tomorrow it should done curing. I’ll let you know the results in my next post. Thanks for looking.

-- Don't waste today, it is yesterdays tomorrow!~SisQMark



6 comments so far

View JoeyG's profile

JoeyG

1248 posts in 1311 days


#1 posted 02-18-2012 12:32 AM

It looks amazing Mark. I don’t know what else to say. Great idea and great execution.

I am interested to see how hard the one with the acrylic gets. That will govern if I can use it or not for my style. I am sure it will find a home in my shop soon, even if it’s not for my intended purposes. There’s not enough hours in the day to go with all the ideas in my head.

Have a great night and I’ll look forward to your next episode.

-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks

View Roger's profile

Roger

14847 posts in 1489 days


#2 posted 02-18-2012 01:25 AM

incredibly awesome! wow! that is kool. thnx for the “how-to”

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View terryR's profile

terryR

3205 posts in 994 days


#3 posted 02-18-2012 01:44 AM

very nice! love the finished butterfly and of course the bloodwood is a winner.

that acrylic mixture looks like fun…endless uses…

thanks, again, and keep it up!!!

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View SisQMark's profile

SisQMark

382 posts in 1285 days


#4 posted 02-18-2012 01:51 AM

Thank you guys. It sure makes it worth while to do these when it is appreciated. I’m so glad my two cents are valued. Coming from all you craftsmen I feel honored to fit in.

-- Don't waste today, it is yesterdays tomorrow!~SisQMark

View stefang's profile

stefang

13251 posts in 2020 days


#5 posted 02-19-2012 07:21 PM

Looks real good. Is it jewelry or what?

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View SisQMark's profile

SisQMark

382 posts in 1285 days


#6 posted 02-19-2012 08:30 PM

Mike,
It is a window hanging. It is 4 1/2’” wide by 4” long, 3/8” thick. I made this for my wife to hang in the kitchen window. Thanks for the complement.

-- Don't waste today, it is yesterdays tomorrow!~SisQMark

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase