Well, it’s been a while since I have done any serious woodwork (too long) but what I have done is complete a tablesaw build.
Some of you may have seen the question I asked when I came across the oportunity to get a free table saw: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/41959
Comments were varied, from don’t touch it to grab it while you can. Well here are the results.
First job was to strip off the fairly flimsy frame and set about building a new one.
The legs are fairly substantial 3”x3”
The next task was to do something about the top. The existing one was far from flat and not very smooth. I made a top from a piece of 3/4” ply topped with a sheet of 1/8” mdf for smoothness and fastened to the frame, making sure it was 90deg to the blade. The total size of the top is 4’x3’
Next was some kind of fence. Taking inspiration from Stumpy’s use of draw runners I built a tall fence and fitted to a single runner for adjustment. The fence is clamped in place with a clamp I found in a drawer.
There is a tape measure fitted for setting the fence distance. To get the measurement corrent I first set the fence and made a cut on a piece of scrap, measured it, and fitted the tape accordingly.
As for accuracy, the 2’ long piece of pine I cut to set the tape measure was only out by 0.1mm over the length of the piece. For now I think I can live with that. There is space for adjustment on the fence if needed. The fence moves to give 22” between fence and blade
With a new blade in, the cut depth is around 90mm (the new blade was bigger than the original)
As for cost, the only thing I had to buy was the wood for the legs and a new blade, about £50 in total.
Can’t wait to start using it.
-- Failure is always an option