Well, I decided that even though it was too expensive to use real Spanish cedar for a test project, that I should go ahead and make a liner anyway like I would do if this was going to be a real humidor.
I found a really cool solution for parting the lid from the box. I was not to happy with all the techniques I’d seen using a table saw, because I knew I would lose 1/8” to the saw kerf. Instead, I bought this nifty little 6 Piece Rotary Saw Blade Kit at Harbor Freight:
Then I mounted the biggest blade on my drill press, set the height for the part line, and set the fence to a distance that would part the lid to within 1/32” but not cut all the way through.
I then wrapped the box with masking tape at the cut line to prevent tear out.
After the lid was cut all the way around, I finished parting it with a Dozuki and planed the remaining ridge with a block plane.
To make the liner, I split some 1/2” hemlock, same wood as the box on the table saw, then planed it down with my Stanley No. 8 jointer plane to 3/16”
To do the miter joints for the liner, I made a Japanese joinery style jig from a Douglas Fir 2×4, being extremely careful to make it accurate.
I then tested the jig. These are my very first hand cut miter joints, and I’m pretty happy with them, although there is always room for improvement.
“You can see the video of my first test miter joint here:
and here is the final result on the liner. This is not currently glued up, it’s just placed in there.
-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://geraldlhunsucker.com/