Please don’t laugh, I know all of you out there have “real” power woodworking tools.
I could not afford the stuff I wanted as I’m just getting started, and I thought a used Shopsmith might be a good way to get going fast.
So I bought this 1954 Shopsmith Mark V on Craigslist for $200.00. After I got it home, it promptly started making all kinds of terrible racket, and I discovered that I had bought $200.00 worth of junk, well almost.
I found a place where I could get bearings cheaply, and with a 5 year restoration of a 1974 Toyota Landcruiser under my belt, I felt no fear of tackling this project.
Motor Dissassmbly – The motor as well as the rest of the machine needs new bearings.
Some of the parts after sandblasting and ready for paint.
At this point the whole machine has been disassembled, sandlbasted, and painted. Here are
the components ready for new bearings and reassembly
The next seven pictures show the restored motor getting new bearings and then reassembled
Next the drive sheave is reinstalled, along with a new power cord. Then the whole motor
assembly is secured to the bottom pan.
The quill has had new bearings installed in this picture, and then gets a new Gilmer belt after
it’s reinstalled in the head housing.
This is the sheave driven by the motor. You can’t see it here, but it will be connected via a new v-belt.
The final assembly.
You can see it in action here:
-- There are good ships and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea, but the best ships are friendships and may they always be. http://geraldlhunsucker.com/