This will be my final blog entry. I’ll post a finished project after applying calk and getting the plumbing done. The below image shows what it will look like but it’s not really plumbed. Need the finish to harden first.
Since my last entry, I filled in the voids again with just a cement/water mix and sanded to 200 grit with and orbital sander. A little hand work was required in the corners. I then used a copper sulfate (root killer) / water mix for the color according to the instructions here… http://www.stainedfloor.com/Copper_Recipes.html
The above shows the concrete stained before being washed off with water.
In the mean time, I created my manifold for the drain. I don’t think the o-ring idea (described on previous posts) will work because the concrete isn’t flat enough. I’ll probably load it up with silicone when I screw it to the bottom side.
This is what I chose for the finish because of the direct contact with water. The instructions are easy to follow and give specific instructions for concrete application. It feels like plastic so some may consider that a draw back. My only advice here is if you are going to use a bristle brush (I think that’s what they recommend), make sure it’s a good one. I started with a cheap one and ended up with a bunch of bristles in the finish. I switched to foam brushes and it seemed to work good.
Here are close-ups of some interesting results
This is how it sits now. I put on my first coat in the garage. I then installed it on the cabinet with liquid nails. There were a few accidents creating chips and scratches in the finish so a second coat was required. What the above picture shows is the wet second application after sanding with 320 grit sand paper.