The concrete is poured and it was nothing like I was expecting. I had my daughters fill the back-splash forms but I was short on concrete so I had to use the material from the back-splashes to complete the sink. I kind of panicked and I didn’t spend as much time as I wanted packing the undercuts. Not too worried. If there are voids, I’ll fill them when I pour the back splashes.
I have learned a lot but most of it’s, “what not to do”. I’ll know better once the concrete is out of the molds.
My daughter was taking pictures so I don’t have what I was hopping for. I told her to take a picture of everything… like one picture with everything. She took a picture of each item like it was a crime scene. This picture shows the cavity and a drill rigged to be a vibrator.
This picture shows basically what I used to prepare the molds. I don’t think so much work was necessary but I had time to kill. In order of usage; Bondo, Chisel and #120 sandpaper to shape blends with sand paper wrapped around pipe and dowels or blocks, caulk with caulk tool for small blends, body filler for small voids, primer, sanding with #320 foam sanding block and #400 wet paper, semi-gloss black paint (only because I had it), sanding with #800 wet paper, clear paint, sanding up to #2000, turtle wax, and eventually a light coat of cooking spray. I liked the tip I got in an earlier post about dissolving wax in solvent but I didn’t use it.
I found a 4’ x 8’ sheet of 6” wire mesh at Lowes that replaced the tension rods I was originally going to use. We cleaned them with steel wool and covered with several coats of primer.
We started by mixing one bag with charcoal color and dumping it in a holding container. Then we mixed up a bag with no color and folded it in the first mix. This was my first time using a mixer. Maybe someone can tell me if I did something wrong because even with the mixer, it wasn’t much easier than mixing it by hand. The concrete first turned into a bunch of balls that resembled deer droppings. We stopped the machine several times to break them up and freeing dry clumps hiding in the back of the mixer.
I tried to be as prepared as I could. I was planing on using screeds with the sink profile cut out to do most of my work. I build a back-side mold in-case the concrete was too runny. It was. So runny that it wouldn’t even pack 2 inches high so I had to quickly clamp on another piece of wood. I think this was due to the super plastizers in the Quikrete mix. Had I read “Decorative Concrete” by Sunset before purchasing my mix, this would have been avoided. It has a bunch of formulas for different applications. I needed a dryer mix so I could pack the sides of the sink (like building a sand castle with wet sand).
Many of my other jigs were useless. I build on to create a groove for the o-ring. This made a mess. I ended up smoothing the concrete and placing the o-ring in it. I also had a template to position the bolts. Somewhat useless.
I guess I’ve got several days to wait till I start pulling off the molds.