Finally got some real down time over the past week and finished up with the Plane restorations. I cheated on the #5 by getting it from a winning Ebay bid. I saw how clean this thing was and had to go after it. It is almost pristine other than light pitting on the lever cap. I have (3) other #5 planes thast I am going to make one good user out of. The #4 required a moderate amount of work because I wanted to make it shine. I gave it the “works” with sole and side lapping, lapping the frog seating areas, and adding a “Hock” blade. The #7 looks pretty ugly sitting next to the others but I have not done a thing to it besides a extensive cleaning, opening the mouth, and adding a “Hock” blade. It was almost ready to use when I recieved it.
The 3 spare blades in the picture were basically used for freehand sharpening retraining. I actually got the hang of it again before I ruined them. I am going to put a heavy camber on one of them for a scub blade.
The block and shoulder planes are the new Stanley SweetHearts that I got for a song and a dance.
I would recommend that anyone with a little mechanical aptitude make thier first plane a restoration project. You can pick up on so many little things along the way.