I am a newcomer when it comes to planes, but I feel I have learned a lot on this site in the last few months. Thanks to all those who have helped/enabled me. This is the first time I have tried to restore and tune up a Stanley Bedrock plane. It is a 606c that I was able to but off of Ebay. When I got it, it was incredibly dirty and grimey. Kind of like the inside of a chainsaw where sawdust and grease come together. After I was I able to clean the plane, I sanded and removed the rusting japannig. I was able to remove the lateral adjustment lever, and pin from the yoke so that I could flatten the frog area where it mates with the blade and the sole as well. To my suprise when I began to flatten the sole area where the frog mates, there was very little contact. About 1/8” on both sides, but after some rubbing and sanding I had what looked to be a large flat mating area. I tried to remove the grind marks from the side of the plane, and in doing so, revealed what looks like a phone number on one side. The owner’s marks on the other side of the plane were way to deep to be removed or even attempted. I used naval jelly and sandpaper to get the sides cleaned and shined up. I went up to 1000 grit on the sides and lever cap. I repainted the sole of the plane, sanded and refinished the knob/tote with a coat of tung oil and sprayed it with lacquer.
I am also a newcomer to sharpening as well. I have a ws3000 but the iron is too wide to use without an attachment, which I do not have. So I made an attempt to use my waterstones. I have not tried to use a micro bevel before, but I put one on both sides of this iron. When I went to test it on the hair on the back of my hand, it shaved it clean and painless in one pass. Put the plane all back together and gave it a test run. To my suprise it performed way better than my expectation. Smooth, thin shavings, with no tear out. I love it.