Well, if you all have been following my blogs, you’d know that I recently purchased a new table saw. Being that this is my first table saw, I want to ensure that I am using it as efficiently and as safely as possible. So after doing a good bit of research I decided to make a few jigs to improve my accuracy with my new saw. The first jig I made today is the crosscut sled. Shortly I will be making a miter sled and a jig for cutting key slots on boxes. So without further adieu, here is the new sled:
The sled was fairly simple to make with the hardest parts being the runners and the rear fence. The runners I cut slightly thiner than the tracks. I then pushed them toward the blade using folded sheets of paper and I raised them slightly using thin cardboard shims. I was then able to glue and screw them and got a tight fit with no side to side play.
The problem I had with my fence was that the poplar I used for the fence was slightly warped. Not a good thing when trying to square it with the kerf of the blade. So to overcome this problem, I put one screw up from the bottom of the sled into the fence right where the kerf line was. I then squared the right hand side of the fence and screwed it in. after that I was able to bend the wood on the left hand of the fence, square it, clamp it, and screw it. After I made sure the fence was completely squared to the kerf, I ran some more screws up and down the length. Finally, I removed the original center screw so it would not interfere with the blade. Surprisingly after all that, it turned out very square.
-- Sgt_Lobo -- Aurora, CO