June 2011, finally we started building something. Now for garden walls etc. it’s obvious to use a dry stone techniques. However for the walls of the “workshop to be”, we decided on a hybrid system. This means putting up a mold for the inside, laying the stones in cement (is easier to fill the gabs) and the backside is filled up with concrete and little stones. This all makes it easier to have some rendering on the inside.
We decided way back that we wanted the original walnut beams to stay, and used it as a feature by integrating it into the wall. Because we are in the land of the Templar Knights we allowed ourselves to fake history a bit by carving a Templar Cross in one of the big stones. Slowly the building started to look like the plans that were drawn on the back of a shoe box, even before we bought the ruin.
Finally the combination of old and new started to show. The biggest challenge up until than was to make the arch. I just made a mold and started laying bricks. The hardest work however seemed to be remodeling the old wall. Some of these stones are very heavy, and you can’t use just little ones.
With the original beams now treated against atacks from all kinds of wood loving bugs, they were painted black. Somehow this progress gave us a bit more energy, working many hours to get closer to our dream workshop.
Still, the human body can only take so much battering…. and it would make sence to give the old back and shoulders some rest. It took a few little accidents and hurtfull events to make me see the sunlight, the barbeque and the loungechair on the terrace as a good remedy.
Because we run a B&B and recordingstudio next to our “dream building” it took untill oktober 2011 before the work would get into it’s second (or was it third) fase….
Next time; Finaly some carpentry.
-- Não só Serradura, Tomar, Portugal http://notjustsawdust.blogspot.pt/