Again another deviation from my original design. I was going to go with flat oak drawer faces. We decided to mimic the rail and stiles of the doors just a little slimmer with a centre oak panel. We did that, not without problems. I goofed on my first round of rail and stiles because I measured the exact length of the rails, neglecting to take into account the 1/2” tenon on both ends used by the rail and stile bits. Fortunately I had just enough wood left over to make a new set with about 2” to spare.
Needless to say every cut was measured and tested 100 times before making the cut. You could see beads of sweat on my forehead as I routed the profiles knowing there was zero room for error. I know I know, if worse came to worse I could have made another trip to the lumber shop but you guys know the feeling.
Here is a photo of the current status. The drawer gaps look off in the photo, I think that is due to lighting. I used a technique I learned here … I positioned the drawer face with doublesided tape and business cards to set the gaps. It worked like a charm. The gaps are all 4 business cards wide … I think that’s roughly 3/16” but at least they are equal. Don’t know who posted that tip but my thanks if you happen to read this.
Next step is finish sanding then on to the large 36×60” top with a 12” eating bar along the back edge.
-- Jim in Langley BC Canada --- www.sollows.ca