OK, two posts in one night….why not?
We finally reached the end of the wrecking phase of this project and are actually getting some woodworking done on the boat. After wrecking out the old transom, spiling the shape of the old transom, we began to layout the new transom. So, let’s look at the process.
Here we are with that large pattern we made of the transom. We’ve laid out a couple of lifts that were laminated up and are transferring the shape over to the new stock.
Here’s a picture of the first lift that will go onto the boat. This will be the very bottom of the transom. It has alot of shaping that is in store for it before it can become a permanent piece of the boat.
Here’s a look at the same piece of wood form the previous picture. It was nicknamed Scary Larry by all of us, as it was by far the hardest piece of wood to make. There were so many compound curves going on on this piece, and we had to use a motor beaver (power planer) to take most of it down. Look how much of the original wood was removed to get this piece just right.
And Scary Larry goes into the boat. Here is the first lift getting placed into the boat where it will live for the next 75 plus years. It took quite a bit more planing and hand shaping to get it in just right, but in the end, we prevailed! Wood – 0, Woodworkers – 1
You can also now see the two fashion pieces sitting up top. More on those in a moment.
In this picture you can see one of the original fashion pieces that formed the aft end of the bulwarks, and part of the transom. The original pieces were solid timbers hand cut and shaped to the transom.
And here’s one of the replacements for the fashion pieces. It was much less expensive for us to laminate these new pieces. So you can see there are four layers glued up to make the new one. It’s made of larch. There is more material on the piece at this point that will be cut off as soon as the final lift for the transom is installed.
We have cut, shaped and installed two more lifts on the transom at this point. Here’s a shot of how the entire thing is put together. Each lift is through bolted with lag bolts the the lift below it.
Alright, here you can see two more lifts that have been cut, shaped and installed on the boat. It’s beginning to look like a transom again. Once all of the lifts are installed on the boat, it will then receive a 1 inch thick veneer of Sapele to finish it off. Since the boat was constructed in this way, the plank ends rabbeted, and we did not want to shorten the boat by cutting the plank end off, we decided to replicate the original construction of the transom. We’re getting close at this stage. There is one more inner transom lift to install, finish off the fashion pieces and then make a new cap rail. We’ve only got 17 days left before we all graduate, hopefully we can button it up by then. What a great experience this has been!
-- Brian S. --- "If you’ve worked on the building of a boat, it belongs to you the rest of your life." -Bob Prothero