I got it done. The only thing I might do is paint the additional parts on the motor cover battleship gray.
The scale was made with a clear self-adhesive shipping label. I got out my tachometer and made a test run and marked the speeds on the lathe. I then took a photo of this pencil scale head-on and laid out on my computer the scale. I made a printout and went to OfficeMax and they copied it on the shipping label for 68 cents. Can’t beat that!
I put the switch for the DC power on the side of the control box because I plan on using this lathe as a duplicator. The duplicator will be mounted on the backside of the lathe so I can’t switch the motor from the front or the back.
The motor cover cuts down on the noise of the motor tremendously. I’m really glad I worked all day Saturday building it out of MDF. I think I’ll paint it.
Here are photos of the final build. Thanks for following this project. If you want to convert a lathe, feel free to contact me.
-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.