The control box is done and mounted. I found a few things out the hard way. One was you don’t ground the motor controller. Man, the flash and the smoke! Well, that was a motor controller down the drain. Luckily, I had a spare. Upon a little research, DON’T GROUND THE MOTOR CONTROLLER’S HEAT SINK. The box I bought was aluminum, so I had to isolate the motor controller from the box. Nylon screws, washers and bolts was the solution to the grounding issue. I did ground the aluminum box but made sure the motor controller was well insulated away from the grounding wire and metal box.
I also made another change to the controls. I replaced the 250K pot with a 10K pot. I get a better separation between the speeds.
Here is the pictures of the final mounted control box.
The black toggle switch is for the AC on and off, the light next to it indicates the AC is on, the rocker switch is for reversing the direction of the rotation, the black knob is to adjust the speed of the lathe, and the red toggle switch is to turn the motor on and off.
The indexing pulley still needs truing. I mounted it on the ‘new’ lathe with my Nova Midi Chuck and turned it with Easy Wood Tools Rougher with a cutter with a slight radius. Wow, those things cut cast zinc very well. I have zinc shavings allover the shop.
Here are before and after photos.
Now, the next step is to put a scale on the potentiometer.
-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.