Here is the lathe. I bought it on Craigslist and got what I feel was a good deal. I went to Nashville and picked it up on Saturday. My plans are to replace the AC motor with a DC motor and make the lathe variable speed electronically.
This lathe has no drive pulleys. The Reeves drive broke and all the parts were trashed. So the headstock is empty except for the spindle and the indexing pin.
The AC motor is good so I will put it on eBay and sell it. I have a DC motor from a treadmill that is rated 2HP. I Googled how to take the flywheel off the motor and found that it screws on to the motor shaft with a lefthand tread. Well, if I want to reverse the direction, I will have to make sure the flywheel doesn’t fly off. Pun intended. So, I drilled and tapped for a 1/4”-20 set screw and flattened the motor shaft where the screw contacts it.
I will have to build a mount for the new motor. That looks like a simple task to build. I have to find some steel tubing and nuts n’ bolts.
Controller and Controls
I found a MC-60 motor controller on eBay. All of the connections are labeled so it should be ‘monkey-ready’ to wire it up. I will need to obtain a couple of switches. One will be for the AC on/off, one will be for reversing the motor and one to switch the DC power to the motor. I bought a 250K liner pot to adjust the speed.
This lathe is a Type 1 version and has a 24mm spindle with a key. After looking online and calling some local suppliers, I have found the solution to the pulley issue. Now I will have to determine the size pulley I need.
I bought a laser tachometer and it should be here tomorrow. I will use it to determine the RPM’s of the motor and with a pulley calculator I found online, I should be able to determine the size of the driven pulley.
The pulley I plan to use is of the type of a V-belt. The pulley on the motor is not a V-belt so I will have to machine the motor pulley to have a V. I think I have found an article on how to do that.
More to come. Thanks for joining me on this journey.
-- Makin' Sawdust!!!