I loved the palm boxes I saw being made before Christmas. With no original wood working ideas or experience of my own, I have to copy. Plus I was running out of money for hardware on the other boxes and the palm boxes didn’t need any hardware. I posted my first box in the finished projects already.
This box needed a begining, so I started out with the size. I used a dollar bill as the base size to build from.
So with the boards marked, I cut the pieces.
Ok, some of you may have caught it. I messed up the lid by cutting it to small. I forgot it had to overlap the the front and back sides of the box. I found another scrape of wood and then I was ready for the glue up.
No, I wasn’t going to show you a picture of clamps and glue. With the box dried in, I located the lid, drilled the holes for the clotheshanger hinge pins. I then sanded the bottom rear edge of the lid to allow it to open. Since my first box was sanded too much, I didn’t sand this one as much. (mistake) Here is a close up of the bottom rear edge of the lid.
So, I thought I was ready for sanding. It needed lots of sanding. Since I don’t have a table sander (yet), I used a rockwell tool with 80 grit paper on it. It takes it down pretty good. While I was sanding one of the sides, I started hearing a vibration that sounded like a wind intrument with a split reed. After checking the box, I found one of the hinge pins had split the side of the box.
I disasembled the box and re glued the side. Now I have to wait another day for the glue to dry.
-- I'll get it done when I get a-round-tuit.