Today I am beginning a new blog about my latest home project. I am remodeling our front living room in the Greene & Greene style, including making the lighting, the front window and the furniture for it. This will be an example of what I will be marketing as part of my business. Our house is an early 60’s ranch with a full basement. The outside of the house is Ashlar sandstone. I will try to organize the process by indicating Day 1, Day 2, etc. Note that Day 2 may not follow the next calendar day after Day 1 as it may be a week later before I continued. Too many irons in the fire…
In this first picture, what you see is the living room with everything removed.
There are three fireplaces in my house, the others being the Greene & Greene style fireplace in our 4-season room, and another one downstairs almost directly beneath the one in the picture above. There are actually two flues, with the second one to the right of this fireplace. The room currently has red oak crown molding and baseboard trim, but I will be removing it because I will be installing trim more in line with what you would see in a Craftsman home such as a Stickley. While the main styling will be Greene & Greene, I will use some accents from the Stickley homes as this room seems to be well suited for it. Also, the ceiling will get a new color, and I will be installing ceiling beams of some design.
I have removed some lighting that was on the left side of the fireplace. I am going to build two cabinets on each side of the fireplace. I made the mantel current in place but it is a period-style piece that won’t fit with what I am going to do. Also, the fireplace screen will go as well. Also, we didn’t like the sandstone color on the walls so we will change it too. In this photo, I refinished the floor and used Fabulon 50 which a clear water-base finish. I have never used water-based finishes before and it made me a believer. It took two days to sand and then refinish the floor. I got the finish from the dealer where I rented the floor sander. We were able to walk on it by the third day.
The next item was to paint the room in a color that will work well with a Craftsman-style approach. We chose Valspar Gold 4 Interior Stain as seen in the next photo. I put the couch back into the room because my wife was tired of climbing over it in the adjacent kitchen.
Today I began designing & building the cabinets that will go on each side of the fireplace. I always like to do at least some type of drawing, even though the final product might be a bit different. It at least gives me a good starting point. Sometimes anyway … …
Here is a drawing of what I will be build. Before I begin an actual design, I usually do a lot of research to get some ideas. For this one, I used some elements of a G&G door found in the Gamble House. I will be making the cabinets out of quartersawn white oak.
I began by machining the raw stock for the individual parts of the doors first. I like to work from the inside out sometimes, instead of building the cabinet, and then building a door to fit. Sort of like the old argument over whether it is best to cut the tenon first or chop the mortise first…
Here are some cloud lift elements in various stages that will be used.
Thanks for reading.
More to come…