LumberJocks

Incra Offset Router Table #3: Doors, Drawers, & Other Details

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SWM posted 1396 days ago 7015 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Sketchup Pics Part 3 of Incra Offset Router Table series Part 4: Finishing Touches »

This project has really turned into a labor of love. Although, my work is far from what I’d consider craftsman level, I can tell that boxes are getting more square and my work more precise. What else can you ask for right?

What better first project for a new router table and fence than to build it’s doors and drawers.

The unit has 4 drawers on the right side: 4”, 5.5”, 6”, 9”. The bottom left drawer is 12”. No real science to the apportionment, just measured a few items that I planned to put in each drawer. The drawers are 26” wide and 28” deep, so I opted for 3/4 plywood sides with a 3/8 plywood bottom for strength. I rabbeted the bottoms to fit a 1/4 dado on the drawer sides.

I decided to use a drawer lock joint because 1) I had never used it before and 2) it was supposedly fast and strong. I had all kinds of trouble with the plywood tearing out on the drawer side piece. That little hook was just too small, especially by the time that I dry fitted each joint.

Any thoughts here? I presume that solid wood would not have the same problems. Has anyone tried these joints in ACX Home Depot plywood? Maybe this isn’t a problem with the more expensive baltic birch cabinet shop plywood.

The finished project turned out ok, but only after putting the better looking pieces on the drawer top. Here’s a look at a finished joint.

I decided to finished the drawers with some tung oil. I’d never used the stuff before. I wanted something on the drawers, but didn’t want to take the time to stain and poly. The tung oil was easy to apply and left a waterproof matte finish. Works good enough for this project.

Each drawer was mounted on 26” full extension slides that I picked up on ebay. Like I said, my measurements were precise. So precise, that I had to remove about a 1/32 from each drawer side to allow for clearance on the slides. oops?

I made the dust cabinet door out of some of the same douglas fir that was used on the face frame. Same finishing formula, 2 coats of Zinnser Seal Coat and 3 coats of general gel poly.

I decided to miter the door joints and glue with a biscuit, again because I’d never tried it that way before. I used a biscuit sized slot cutter on the router table because I don’t have a regular handheld biscuit cutter. I used a miter gauge at 45 degrees and Incra shop stop to prevent the biscuit from going outside the frame’s outer edge. Worked pretty good for a first time.

Here’s a pic of the glue up. The parallel clamps on two sides, coupled with standard f-clamps to “tweak” alignment made for the easiest miter joint glue-up that I’ve ever attempted.

Here’s a pic of the mounted/finished door with 3/8 plexi glass. I drilled a few holes along the bottom to encourage air flow. I’m not sure if this will be enough, but I can always drill a few more/larger holes if the need arises.

-- Working on a retirement hobby, only 30 more years to practice!



1 comment so far

View Jim Ganley's profile

Jim Ganley

43 posts in 1765 days


#1 posted 1396 days ago

Looking good!!!

-- Jim - Cushing, WI

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase