I started working on my workbench and was able to spend some time on it last week while my wife was in Maine. It is a combination of ideas I gained while studying others, and I am sort of making it up as I go along. I used Douglas Fir as it was easy to find, and I was able to purchase some fairly clean pieces at the Home Depot. It was quite wet when I got it, and it has been drying for several weeks now. I milled it to almost final dimension and now it is drying some more, and what I think of as ‘relaxing’. It seems like wood reacts to drastic milling, and always flexes a bit a couple of days later.
I will give the top pieces a final jointing before the big glue up. I am dreading this glue up. I have not decided if I will try to do it in sections and then either thickness sand or thickness plane as I go, or just go for it. This stuff is gosh darn heavy. Maybe I need to grow up and hand plane it.
The plan is to add a 4/4 maple front and use 8/4 walnut for the end plates (because I have some of both) before I attach the vises. Bench dog holes will be drilled after it is all together. I also have a little 8/4 maple for the vise chops.
I am trying to keep the cost under $200.
The 6 foot 4×4s for the top. Cut, jointed, and milled to thickness.
The stretchers cut with tenons. These were resawed from the 4×4s. They are waiting for holes for the draw bore tenons, and for a bit of edge treatment.
The two towers. Pretty much completed. Mortised and drilled for the stretchers. I cut the large mortises for the uprights with my CNC. That was fun. I cut the mortises for the stretchers with a hand held router, just because.
The two vises purchased from Grizzly. Can’t beat the price. I hope they work out OK.
Comments or suggestions are very welcome.
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon