LumberJocks

Veneered Sofa Table

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by SPHinTampa updated 980 days ago 9 parts 22409 reads 26 comments total

Part 1: Getting prepared, wrecking tools

1042 days ago by SPHinTampa | 3 comments »

While I am waiting for the finish to cure on my tray project, I started my next adventure. I am building a sofa table to match, approximately, the end tables that I made last year (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/22185). I started by sketching out a design on paper with some basic measurements. Usually I get a little more detailed and do a scale drawing (I use MS powerpoint). Since I plan to match the end tables, I need a little less design detail and paper will do. Begin wit...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Pressing the Veneered Panels

1041 days ago by SPHinTampa | 3 comments »

Next step is to create two veneered panels for the top. I believe that a single large, unbroken top would look a little better but I really like the material that I have on hand and I don’t trust my ability to get an invisible seam at the center. So I will feature a break rather than make a poor job of hiding it. I do not have a large vacuum press system, so I will use cauls and clamps instead. I will use two 2’x4’ MDF sections to make a veneer sandwich. I...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Legs and the Mysterious Lock Miter

1032 days ago by SPHinTampa | 4 comments »

Next step in the process is to create the profiled legs. I start with the stock that I milled earlier. Fortunately, I was able to get pieces that could be finished to 7/8” rather than 3/4”. Slightly thicker pieces will leave room for a nice profile and adequate room for joinery. I install a profile bit and make a few test cuts until it looks right to me. Because tear out is bad on end grain, I like to route the end grain before ripping to final width. ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The foot bone is connected to the leg bone ...

1018 days ago by SPHinTampa | 0 comments »

Last session, I built the compound legs using a lock miter. This session, I completed the legs and feet: Started with stock marked for the feet and the apron sides. This session, I created the feet to attach to the leg. This is done by routing a profile on three sides of a workpiece, cutting a miter and joining two work pieces at 90 deg. This is the end result. First I chuck up a cove/fillet profile bit: Then route the edges of the workpiece. Route the edge gra...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finishing the base

1018 days ago by SPHinTampa | 0 comments »

Sorry for double post. The picture size was causing problems so I had to split the entry. In the last blog entry, I completed the feet for the sofa table and the joinery to connect them to the legs. In this entry, I will cut the remaining pieces for the base, complete the joinery and glue it up. It will look like this. First step is to create for table apron sides. Since the apron stock was only surfaced and jointed on one side, I rip the apron stock to final width. And cro...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Experimenting with Veneer Finishes

1015 days ago by SPHinTampa | 8 comments »

This weekend was more like chemistry class than shop time. I have been experimenting with finishes for the rotary cut bubinga (kevazinga) panels. If I could get a clear coat that did not change the raw wood color, I would be happy. But so far most of my choices have darkened up the raw wood. I am really looking for a clear wood finish that enhances the grain without darkening it. Or a decent coloring that keeps the contrast against the mahogany border without obscuring the grain. ...

Read this entry »


Part 7: More fun with finishing

999 days ago by SPHinTampa | 4 comments »

I appreciate the input from a number of folks about potential finishing methods. I tried a few and settled on a final choice. I started out trying to find a finish that would retain the natural look of the bubinga without significantly changing the color. Unfortunately I failed. I used a scraper to level my last two test boards and then sanded the surface with 320 followed by 400 grit. Tried one side with aerosol spray lacquer – 3 coats and one side with pure tung ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Making the top

993 days ago by SPHinTampa | 0 comments »

Have completed my experimentation with finishing, it is time to finalize the table top. I cut the frame pieces for the table top from the same stock I used for the legs and sides. This turned out to make the table top glue up a little more complicated because I ended trying to place a 3/4” panel in a frame made of 15/16” thick stock. Note that I cut the long members a little wider than the short members so that I can trim them for a final fit around the panel (I will expl...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Finished just in time for Christmas

980 days ago by SPHinTampa | 4 comments »

This is the final post for my Veneered Sofa Table project. It is finally finished, the weekend before Christmas. In my last post, I had finished staining the non veneered portions of the table using General Finishes Light Walnut Oil Stain. The only reason that I stained the mahogany was to match an existing piece. Next step was to attached the table top. I was out of figure 8 clips so I created home made fasteners by drilling a pocket screw into a wooden tab and then drilling an ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase