In this session, I got the following steps completed:
- Cut the rabbited dovetail joints on the base
- Assembled the case
- Created a template for the scroll work foot
- Cut the scroll work feet
- Cut the miter lock joint for the foot
- Assembled the feet for the case
In more detail, here are the steps I followed
I used a 1”straight bit on the router table to cut a stopped rabbit along the based of the case. I measured 7/16” from the based on the case and cut a reference line using a marking gauge along the side of the base. I also marked the stop line 1” in from both the front and back of the base. I set then router bit to the same height as my reference line and zero’d out the Incra jig on the far side of the router bit, burying it in the fence. I then cut the rabbit by making stopped cuts, pulling the fence back a 1/4” at a time until I got to a 13/16” rabbit (matching the case side depth + 1/16”).
I used the MLCS through dovetail jig top cut the dovetails (see last blog entry on technique)
Check the fit and it seems pretty tight. That feels very good.
I then glued the assembly together, checking for square as I go.
Having the case together starts to bring the project along nicely.
Next step is to cut the scroll work or ogee feet (note it is an ogee in a single dimension only, the face is flat). I begin by making a template on 5/16” masonite. I purchased the full scale plans for this project from FWW and this is one part where that really paid off.
Used Fostner bits to cut the inside curves
I did the straight cuts on the bandsaw
I used the scroll saw to finish cutting out the pattern
And then cleaned pattern up using the oscillating sander to sand down to the line
And my template is done.
Now trace template on your stock and and use it as a set up block to redo the same series of cuts on all the stock.
Halfway done with cuts.
Now I have a batch of identical feet.
I then set up the lock mitre bit and cut lock miter joints on the feet.
If you want more details on the lock miter joint, I showed each step of setting up and cutting in a previous blog on my sofa table.
I then glue and assemble the feet, checking for square and using masking tape to clamp them. Masking tape is not stretchy enough and I got poor results. Next time I will use heavy duty packing tape.
-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn