LumberJocks

Veneered Sofa Table #9: Finished just in time for Christmas

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by SPHinTampa posted 12-26-2011 10:24 PM 1556 reads 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 8: Making the top Part 9 of Veneered Sofa Table series no next part

This is the final post for my Veneered Sofa Table project. It is finally finished, the weekend before Christmas.

In my last post, I had finished staining the non veneered portions of the table using General Finishes Light Walnut Oil Stain. The only reason that I stained the mahogany was to match an existing piece.

Next step was to attached the table top. I was out of figure 8 clips so I created home made fasteners by drilling a pocket screw into a wooden tab and then drilling an oversize hole to attach the side of the table. This way I can screw the tab into the table top but the oversize screw hole connecting to the table side will allow for wood movement.

Drill a series of pocket hole screws into a piece of plywood and then cut into 2” wide tabs.

I am using #8 screws for the sides, so I drill a #12 hole.

I lay the table top on the floor, measure the offset on the sides, position the base into position and screw the table to the base.

With table top firmly attached, I set up my outdoor spraying station (a bit of plastic and some painter’s pyramids). Since I live in Florida and we are experiencing a mild winter (mid 70s), it seemed like a good day to try spraying for the first time. Andy Charon’s book on spray finishing suggests that it is ok to spray as long as the dew point and the temperature are not more than 20 degs apart. Quick check on TBO.com and we are good to go.

After watching the Charles Niel finishing series, I spent a hour or so spraying food coloring and water onto cardboard to get a feel for my HVLP spray gun. I then mixed Deft Brushing Lacquer 50/50 with Lacquer Thinner, put on my canister filter mask and set off to do my first coat (they tell you that you should not thin the mixture … this is because it would increase VOC content above California’s standards, not because it won’t work).

It worked pretty well. So I sprayed 5 more, waiting 20-25 minutes between coats.

I waited a week and then used 600 grit wet sand paper to polish the finish to satin.

I then used 0000 steel wool and light paste wax because I like the feel of a waxed top.

And we are done and it is in place. Seems like a shame to hide all that work behind the sofa but my wife is happy so I am doing great.

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any feedback on the project, blogging style etc …

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn



4 comments so far

View zlatanv's profile

zlatanv

689 posts in 1987 days


#1 posted 12-26-2011 11:09 PM

Turned out awesome! Nice work and it matches the rest of the furniture really nice.

-- Z, Rockwall, TX

View Vince's profile

Vince

992 posts in 2182 days


#2 posted 12-27-2011 12:29 AM

Very nice work…I have tried to spray my work outside but the wind kills it for me everytime.

-- Vince

View smndrummer's profile

smndrummer

47 posts in 1098 days


#3 posted 12-27-2011 06:39 AM

That’s a very nice looking piece, I’m glad it turned out as you wanted it to. I do have to ask, what is the point of going for the satin finish, then waxing it with super fine steel wool? I use that to buff a glossy finish out really shiny. – Rich

-- - Rich

View SPHinTampa's profile

SPHinTampa

548 posts in 2438 days


#4 posted 12-27-2011 05:50 PM

I wanted a satin finish as an end result. The finish I sprayed is a gloss finish. Most finishing books seem to recommend starting with a gloss finish and then knocking it back to your desired sheen as part of the rubbing out process. After the 400 grit got the surface uniformly leveled, I think the finish looked more matte, so I used the steel wool to bring the finish up a little. I used the wax as both a lubricant as well as I just like the feel of a waxed surface.

In the past, when I wanted a gloss finish, I would wait a couple of weeks for the finish to fully cure and the move thru the grits 400 600 800 1200 and then use automotive polish at the end. I have only done that a couple of times on boxes – I have not posted those. I am far from a finishing expert so my approach on this project may not be correct. If you go back a couple of entries in the series, I got a lot of input from another thread on finishing approaches.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Shawn, I ask in order to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase